Friday, April 2, 2010

Montessori from the Start

I'm a new mama wanting to know how to re-educate and home-school. Having been in the public school system in the inner city urban setting, I lasted a full year before needing a full-on break. I mean, I know some teachers do not even last a year before they walk out and quit.

On the other side of the coin, I know that some kids have it hard and they don't have a "break" like teachers do. I still think of the kids I taught and include them in my prayers. There is just so much that one can do.

Imagine: 20+ students who bring this inner city home and neighborhood setting to the school...

...and you are the only "parent" around in an enclosed space called the public school classroom....

Get the picture?

Sigh.

So with the advent of bringing into the world my own child I took a break from this classroom setting because I needed some space to figure out what I really desire to uphold and what I desire to change.

As a teacher who continues to learn by teaching and reflecting about my practice, I have been looking into the unschooling movement, the homeschooling movement, and also the Montessori method. As a lifelong learner myself, I see the value of all kinds of ways to educate a newborn to be HUMAN.

Humanity is only shared from one person to another. We learn how to be and habits grow upon us. We learn to care only by seeing caring around us. To make the world a better place, as Michael Jackson sang, we really need to start with ourselves and those around us. Heaven, then, can really be a place on Earth.

So the best place to start my research into alternative education began at the best local and intimate place possible: my local public library.

Why the library? Why not the Internet?

Well, a fellow mom said it best: You can find anything you want on the Internet to support anything you believe. So if you are at cross purposes with yourself, you will be even more confused....

However, a book--a published book--especially a book that is published in the good old days when the publishing world was much more selective and exclusive--can tell you many things. Not everyone writes books. In fact, most people who start writing books stop or don't finish them, much less go through the hassle of getting it published after many rejection letters from editorial publishing firms. Thus, I revere the published book.

Why blog then? I mean, if I revere the published book, then why should I even write a blog?

Well, a book can help point me in the right direction, especially a book that's been published by a major publishing firm. However, the examples in a book can only go so far and is situational. There is so much more context to the modern world, so many variations, so many settings, so many countries and tribes of people. The diversity of application is astounding!

Thus, I have embarked on starting a blog. I wanted to document my own context and applications in order to advance the Montessori method in my own experiments in hopes of helping another human being.

So the point of this blog is to reveal and share my experience in implementing Montessori from the start: from birth onward.

I may be sharing about what I read in a book, what I attempt, what I apply, how I apply, etc.--all in the hopes of inspiring another parent with the "YOU CAN DO IT, TOO!" message....

Seriously. I don't mean "try." I mean "do." So let's "do" human revolution together! :-)

Peace ~

No comments:

Post a Comment